Wednesday, June 6, 2007

What's The Difference?

I just have to ask the question:

What's the difference between a marriage certificate and a prenuptial agreement?

Okay, okay, I know what the differences are, but don't they still share a certain similarity?

Hear me out:

Though I've been thinking about it, I didn't plan on broaching this subject just yet. However, it keeps coming up in other conversations, so I can't resist. I often hear people vehemently protesting prenupts, but these exact same people will turn around and argue passionately in favor of legal marriage because, according to them, if a marriage goes wrong without a legal contract, one of the spouses may get seriously screwed. In their minds, a marriage contract is a little legal assurance or protection should a breakup ensue. So it would seem that the legal marriage agreement is looked upon in much the same way...at least in theory...as a prenupt, right?

While it's not for me, I don't have a problem with people requesting a legal marriage certificate, but if you're going to do it for "added security in case it doesn't work out", please, PLEASE don't be a hypocrite and tell others they're wrong for getting a prenuptial agreement!

Geesh!!!

~Free

No comments: